My Blog List

Thursday 20 January 2011

A wedding dress for £10?

Impossible? Not, it seems, for stylist/fashion journalist Mary Jane Baxter (above). She's a long-standing friend who always manages to look fantastic by taking market and charity shop finds and transforming them into eyecatching outfits - in other words, a recycling genius. But when BBC TV's Breakfast programme challenged her to use her needlework skills to create a wedding dress for £10, even I had my doubts. However, she's come up with not one, but three outfits, all hitting the target price, The results will be on BBC Breakfast News on Saturday Jan 22nd and then on her blog: http://makeyourwayaroundbritain.blogspot.com/. "I didn't think I would be able to do a dress for £10 but I was amazed at what I could do, " she said. "I think if you make it yourself and put the time and love into it, you are more likely to look after clothes. In this year of austerity more people are looking to traditional skills like sewing."  Something the future Queen of England, Kate Middleton, may consider when deciding what to wear on April 29.

PS Mary Jane's ideas for turning almost any ordinary outfit into something special are going into a book, Chic on a Shoestring, published by Kyle Cathie and coming out in May - £14.99. (It's currently available for pre-order on amazon.co.uk.) My needle and scissors are ready and waiting....

3 comments:

  1. What? That is very very cheap. Where does your gown made from? Last year I purchased a wool suits for just $50 and until now I'm still using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marion,
    The dress on the left was created from some outfits she found in a market, the middle one made with a pattern from some recycled white curtains and the right one is a charity shop/market find which Mary Jane adapted. You wouldn't guess how little they cost to look at them.
    Well done with your wool suit. I hope you get lots more wear from it.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This wedding dress is really nice and affordable. Cheers for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete